- Two months before your move
- Start A File: Create a “moving” file to keep track of vendor quotes, receipts and other records associated with your move.
- Create A Budget: Moving can be expensive! Evaluate your resources and establish a realistic budget for making your move.
- Request Estimates: Contact reputable moving companies to provide an in-home estimate. If you’re planning a DIY move, compare quotes from truck rental companies in your area.
- A month before the move
- Get Some Help: Select a moving company and reserve your moving date. Some moving companies will even help you pack!
- Gear Up: Order boxes and other supplies such as tape, bubble wrap, labels and permanent markers.
- Sort & Purge: It's a great time to get organized! Start sorting your closets, the garage and the attic.
- Out With The Old: Host a garage sale or donate your unwanted things to charity.
- Update School Records: If you have kids that are in school, arrange to transfer school records.
- Change Your Address: Pick up a change of address form from your local post office, or change your address online.
- Put Out The Word: Notify charge accounts, insurance companies, health-care providers and other organizations of your pending change of address.
- Two weeks before your move
- Box It Up: Begin boxing up your belongings, starting with items you won't need to use for a few weeks.
- Label Your Life: Make unpacking easier by labeling boxes with the room they belong in.
- Disconnect: Schedule disconnects for utilities such as gas, electric, water, and telephone service. Arrange any refunds that are due and schedule connections for your new residence.
- Discontinue: Cancel newspapers, Internet, cable TV, security, pest control, cleaning help, lawn maintenance and any other services you subscribe to.
- Take A Day: Notify your team that you'll be out of the office.
- The week of your move
- Take Out The Laundry: Empty dresser drawers, cabinets, and other storage spaces and ensure that all furniture is empty.
- The Survival Kit: Pack a suitcase with items you can't live without until you get moved in and unpacked.
- Final Scrub: Clean out the refrigerator, wipe down the sink and perform a final cleaning of your home.
- Book A Sitter: Arrange any moving-day needs for the kids and pets.
- Double-check The Details: Reconfirm the moving company's arrival time and other details.
- The day before your move
- Emergency Cash: Stash some cash, which may come in handy for a post-move pizza at the end of a long day!
- Rest Up: Be sure to get a good night's sleep!
- Say Bye: Don't forget to say goodbye to your neighbors!
- Moving Day!
- Final Walk Through: Do a final walk of your home, turn off the lights and thermostat and lock all the windows and outside doors.
- Take Inventory: Before the movers leave, be sure to take an inventory of all your belongings to ensure nothing is missing.